The morning started a little rough for me. When I got to the kitchen at 7am, I found 2 bags of refridgerated food out on the counter! Oops! Thankfully, it only shorted me 2 meals of food, and one recipe made more than anticipated, so I still ended with 32 meals in the freezer.
To keep things flowing for the day, I plan out the order that I'm going to make things. It is important to make sure all recipes are on the list. I forgot to write down chili so at the end of the day when I had extra ingredients, I realized I forgot the chili! Thankfully, that's an easy recipe so I just did it last. I post this list on a cabinet.
I also have all my recipes typed up like this and in plastic sleeves. The ones I'm working on, I tape to the cabinets like this for an easy reference.
Lucy watched a full episode of Sesame Street without getting up. I couldn't believe it! Turns out, she is getting a molar in, so I don't think she was feeling 100%.
Here I'm putting together 2 lasagnas. This was one of 2 recipes that I put in foil pans. I wrap the whole pan with heavy duty aluminum foil when I have it put together.
Same concept, but here is our family favorite: Mastaccioli bake. You can put almost everything in a bag other than layered casseroles like lasagna. I put the cheese topping in a second bag and then add it when I thaw it out.
While Matt was looking for the Michigan game on the radio, Lucy helped make enchiladas. We won't be giving these away, since she was eating off the spoon for the cheese. She really did help some by handing me tortillas and dumping cheese in the enchiladas. Dilbert and Lucy ate quite a bit of cheese. My mom helps a TON on these days too, so for a while we had 3 generations cooking!
My freezer is in the basement, so this cooking day, I tried to minimize trips down there and used a laundry basket. This trip had 8 meals in it: 2 lasagna, 2 mostaccioli bake, 4 spaghetti sauce.
At 2pm, this is what my freezer looked like (and still does!) the second shelf and bottom drawer are other items, but the other 3 shelves contain the 32 meals that I made. As you can see, I still have a lot of room. Using freezer bags saves a lot of space!
When it wasn't raining, Matt was spending his time working on this new landscaping area. I think it is going to look GREAT! Lucy and I came out to watch and Lucy "helped" Matt too by throwing things away and holding the measuring tape.
We were all exhausted when we went to bed, but it was a very successful day!
I'm jealous of your freezer! Someday when I live in a house that I'm able to I'm going to get an extra freezer! Also, this summer when my sister Mary was here visiting she told me about saving space by putting the soup in a ziplock freezer bag instead of glad ware, but we didn't know about cooling it off first! It definitely stuck to the bottom of my freezer! Haha!
ReplyDelete